Once the old cover material had been removed from the running boards we needed to remove all the old adhesive to ensure that the new covers would stick for years to come. We brushed laquer-thinner over the running boards and allowed it to soak into the adhesive which was then scraped off. We finished cleaning the boards with additional applications of laquer-thinner which was wiped off with a cloth until clean.
The second step to ensuring the new covers would stay glued on was to rough up the surfaces to be glued. We used an air-powered DA and some 80-grit sandpaper to give some texture to both the metal and the back of the rubber covers.